Monday 19 September 2016

HS046


1066 Diary.



I woke up this morning worse than yesterday.I feel like my head has been stuffed with cotton wool and then someone has saturated it in water to add to the pressure. My diary is going to be pretty boring as I wander in and out of feverish sleep. The day looks glorious outside beautiful calm glassy sea but I'm just feeling too ill to get up and enjoy it. Instead I open the curtains and drink in the view from my bed.
I drop off to sleep and my dream is interrupted by the phone! It's the supply agency wanting to know if I can work today? Considering I phoned and told them I'm ill and unavailable for work today I'm more than annoyed, my annoyance is exasperated by the fact that the very young recruitment agent has the cheek to ask   “exactly  how ill are you? “ This has made me angry, I shouldn't have to explain myself; I just know that teaching in a class of 32 children would be impossible today !
No sooner have I dropped off to sleep again leaving the cup of tea kindly left for me by my husband (my throats to sore to swallow) THE DOORBELL RINGS. It's now about 10ish I listen. It would seem that someone I don't know has dropped by for an impromptu visit and my husband invites him in for a cup of tea. I then panic, the house is a complete tip! This is a usual state of affairs and good friends can take it or leave it. But new people , I like them to see the place tidy,at least to begin with. I've been ill all week and there was a teenage party at the weekend and party debris is still to be found all over the house. Empty cans of drink and a smashed glass on the bar remain . I am mortified. The visitor is entertained on the balcony after a full tour of the house.Bloody hell he’s  seen the mess in every room now!
I decide I need to get up have a shower and spring into action,say “hello” at least.. I can't Spring! My head hurts so I drag myself up and try to hide my red nose with plenty of concealer. I'm finally ready just as the visitor exits the front door.
Oh well at least I'm up. I remember I was supposed to help get my daughters paintings to college this morning for her art A level exam but that's been taken care of too.
I look about the house it can't be that bad? Oh dear it's worse than bad. I think the visitor will think we are alcoholics, he may be right!



I get trusty Henry Hoover out and set to work within seconds I've got a nose bleed (very Royston Vasey!) I struggle on for a couple of hours cleaning.
 I finally have a drink each sip hurts. I look out of the window and watch the cyclist, joggers, dog walkers and skate borders enjoy the sunshine as they promenade. I see a couple of girls go by on long boards,since the opening of The Source,the new skateboard and BMX park, I have noticed more girls on skateboards which is great.

We have lunch, tomato soup today because I'm ill and that's what's needed.After lunch I'm feeling a bit better and decide to go into my studio and potter about I'm not up for full blown creativity but finishing off some ideas and tidying the work bench feels better than wasting time. I haven't made a hat, fascinator or headband for over a week now and I'm feeling guilty, I don't like to let things slip but since the snottiness started I just haven't felt very creative. I just tidy and move displays about.I  can't think, I give up. I decide to write an article for Hastings Online Times, I'd promised to do it last week but hadn't found the time. The articles about a fashion competition using recycled materials I write  a rough copy,then give up on that too.




Fresh air is what I need. I decide to go for a cycle, my husband stops work early and does too. The crisp air hurts my throat when I cycle but it's nice to be outside. We meet and say hello to lots people on our way.Hastings is full of the best and most friendly People. When we reach the brand new people's pier, the handsome William the Conequeror is selling  ice cream from his bicycle ice cream stall. When he sees me he rings his bike bell and I ring back, I cycle past him most days and most days we greet one another with a bell ring. The pier and seafront are bustling today. The sun has bought people out and about and it feels like a summers day,not bad for May!
We stop off at my mother in laws and although I'm ill I manage to swig down a couple of ice cold ciders. We sit in the garden that overlooks the town and I watch birds circle around the ruins of the castle.
We cycle home, I'm feeling much better and we make some vegetarian bolognese for our evening meal.



We then take the dog for a walk on St Leonards beach to watch the sunset. We stop for chat with an artist called Aaron who is painting the steps near the Labyrinth Community Bike Workshop. He’s from America but now lives in St Leonards he has painted the steps in bright, bright colours and has written the words “One Hastings Many Voices.”You can only read the words if stand on the beach because close up the words are formed of patterns. It's a clever work of art. We chat for a while and shake hands a new friend made.
After the dog walk I settle down on the sofa  and watch a programme about the modern male with Grayson Perry. I'm now feeling ill again, why do colds get worse at night? I decide to go to bed. Goodnight.





No comments:

Post a Comment