Monday 12 September 2016

HS012

HS012
Hastings Diary Day 12 May 2016
Sharing our stories and making connections...
Write whatever comes to mind, hour by hour, a reflection or something that stands out. It’s up to you. Photos and drawings welcome.
Two good things in my inbox. Information about the exhibition at St. Michael’s Hospice and Dave’s newsletter. Wondering if I should go down to Dorchester to visit his Open Studio, but funds still low so might have to give it a miss.
The cheeky seagull is back on the kitchen window sill, eating the food I put out for the sparrows. Not sure if I should discourage him or not. He is very entertaining.
Went down to the arts forum to see who it was that bought my painting, then went onto the prom. to watch the sea. Calm as a mill pond today. Wrote my usual ‘Thoughts along the Seafront’ – I’ve got 11 so far in the collection and hopefully have enough soon to put into a book. After a damp start, the day has turned really warm and sunny so I had lunch in the garden, but took away the dish of bird food in case the gull was tempted to sample my salad as well.
Had an email this afternoon with the sad news that my aunt has died. Strangely I thought of her and my uncle the other morning when I woke up. I was thinking of how they built their bungalow in Norfolk around 1950 and have lived there ever since. I feel sad I wasn’t able to go to the funeral as I didn’t know till today that she had died. My uncle will be devastated. 70 years is a long time. I wrote him a letter, but that will be of little comfort.
This evening I finished the third painting in the boat series, which I’m quite pleased with. Then I watched television – a programme on Gareth Malone’s Invictus choir, to sing at the opening ceremony of the Invictus Games in USA. It was very moving to see how he manages to bring out the very best in people through song. This was particularly poignant as all the members of the choir have suffered such serious injuries or psychological traumas, but who, through working as a team have found new inspiration and strength. 

Thoughts Along the Seafront 12 May 2016

Low tide
And the water smooth as glass.
The rock shelves undisturbed
By any splash of waves
Make platforms for the birds
Taking time out to preen.
A cormorant, in eagle pose,
Black wings spread wide in tribute to the sun ­
A haunting silhouette.

Along the promenade rail
Two men are at work, painting over the rust
Which must before long creep through again.
But for now, it’s gleaming white beneath the sun.

To the east, the re-born pier
Stands proud and new,
And with its shimmering cargo
A fishing boat chugs home.


No comments:

Post a Comment