Sunday 18 September 2016

HS033 - St Michael's Hospice

St Michael’s Hospice – Fundraising

So today I was at my desk by 7am, I work in the Fundraising Team and the office can get very busy throughout the day, so I find the early starts can really help with getting some of my paperwork completed.

I have just had three days off and came in to over 100 emails and none of them are spam!  Some are sharing stories and others are people offering to hold events and raise money for the Hospice. There are offers of volunteering at some of our bigger events and even people wanting to offer prizes for any raffles we may be holding.

Mid-morning I visited a local business that was holding a Big Tea fundraiser for the Hospice and I spent an hour chatting with people about the Hospice, folding up raffle tickets and helping with tea and coffee.  I brought a big lemon cake and took it back for the team to celebrate today’s news; I was successful in becoming the Community Fundraiser Team Leader.

Next on the agenda was to complete a comparison of ideal sites for an upcoming event we hope to hold; looking at the pro’s and con’s of each site.

I took a stroll around the beautiful Hospice gardens at lunchtime and met someone who was visiting the plaque of a loved one, we had a lovely chat and shared our Hospice experiences with one another.  It is moments like this that make me love my job just that little bit more.

Once back in the office I started a risk assessment, whilst basking in the sunshine that was beaming through my office window.  I followed this by making a few calls and sending some emails asking people to support us in varying ways at some of our events – a photographer friend who offered the use of his photobooth, a band who wants to perform for us, a restaurant wanting to donate a meal as a prize were just a few I secured.

Later I sent out some thank you letters to people who raised money for us, letting them know how much we appreciate their support and where the money goes.

Towards the end of my working day I decided to undertake a bit of research – looking for new fundraising ideas and looking at what some of the other Hospice’s around the country are delivering.

Each day here is different and the work varies daily, it is quite a fast paced job but one that I love.



No comments:

Post a Comment