Monday 10 October 2016

HS078 - at work

Thursday 12th May 2016
I didn’t have to get up until 5.27am which is when my alarm was set for but I woke at 4.45, lay and dozed a while until the Shipping Forecast pulled me to attention. Think... “what day is it? where do I have to be? by when?... Hove by 9.00am, 8.30 would be better. That means the 6.39 from Ore, change at Hastings 6.47 to Brighton. Need to wash hair”. Quickly downstairs, press boost on the hot water, make a cup of tea, eat crunchy cereal with soya milk, have a bath/ shower, don’t use the downstairs loo, it’s broken, go upstairs, my clothes are ready: pinstripe trousers, bought 2003 ish from South of the River, Crystal Palace.... (clothes used to matter more), black short sleeve shirt (Matalan, Eastbourne, circa 2010), pink vest underneath (acquired from sister-in-law?), Tatty Devine bird in a circle necklace from Lorin (circa 2011), dunlop black pumps (Sports Direct, Hastings 2016), denim jacket (New York, 2010), black lap top bag (free gift from British Association of Behavioural Cognitive Therapist conference, 2006).
Out the door, walk to Ore station, it’s early, it’s muggy, I love the walk, just me and my thoughts. The train is there already, it’s 6.31, on I get, change at Hastings- 6.47 to Brighton. Aaah my memory served me wrong, it’s to London Victoria, I’ll have to change at Lewes.
Look at Facebook and the other sort of news. Jeremy Hunt lied about funding the NHS and admits he hadn’t gone ahead with a policy that would benefit patients because insurance companies/ i.e. business did not buy in. “Sussex defend the NHS” is launching a campaign to do a mass leaflet litter in June/ July with posters saying “Fight for the NHS”. I don’t like the word fight or war at all, I don’t like dichotomy, I like collaboration, words like that promote division. AAAhhhg the dilemma around being either/ or, I find that hard.
I start listening to the recording “Mindfulness of thoughts- an acceptance and commitment therapy technique” through headphones. It’s 20 minutes long, perfect for this journey. I wonder “Am I getting any better at this and then remember that’s not the point”.
Get off at Lewes, next train to Brighton in 2 minutes, change recording to “meditations for transformation” by Deepak Chopra. Chopra accompanies me through Brighton station, platform 8 to platform 1. My train is waiting 8.23 to Aldrington.
I get off the train, and my bag strap breaks and lap top and bag nearly fall under the train. A nice guy picks up my dropped phone. I smile warmly I hope recognising his random act of kindness. I stop at Sainsbury’s, I’m hungry, I buy sushi, the cashier explains that the sushi is part of a “meal deal”. I look confused I guess as she then comes out from behind the counter and takes me to show me other things in the “meal deal” to go with the sushi. I chose a drink and a yoghurt (the sushi is £3 with or without the drink and yoghurt, she explains). I buy apples too.
Sally is in the office. She likes to start off the day by telling me how busy she is. I listen for a long time and ask her to create a spread sheet of all the tasks that she does, how many hours she spends on each one and how many hours she would need to be employed to do all she needs to do. It works out that she would need 86 weeks in the year of working full time to do her job. I acknowledge how hard she works and think about how to present a coherent argument for creating a new post to support practice placements for nursing students.
It’s international nurses day. I stick a sticker on myself that says “Nurses Day” and eat the Sushi. I go up to the admin office and stick a “Nurses Day” sticker on everyone I see, this includes the receptionist, database manager, cleaner, lapsed nurse now employed as manager, e-learning organiser, the finance guy, the statutory and mandatory learning director. Everyone is polite about it. I got the stickers from our nurses union, the RCN, they sent me 50 stickers and 50 flyers advertising insurance (I had only ordered the stickers). Then... I ask a word wizard colleague to format a preceptorship pack I wrote and a multi-professional preceptorship policy using the same technique. I forward the policy to the quality committee to be ratified. This has needed doing since January, it is now May, we were held up, all sorts of reasons. I meet with a business manager to find out “How do I get contract sorted out for Open University students? She doesn’t know either. I wonder who to ask next about this? It’s the NMC visit next `Wed, they are going to inspect practice placements. Are we ready? We have 3 placement areas to prepare for the visit.... things to check on; do we have an up to date mentor list? Do all the right people know about the visit? Things to check.
And next... Hastings needs support for preceptees (Newly Qualified Practitioners). I make contact with colleagues in Hastings and put times in the diary of when to meet.
I walk to the hospital next (it’s a half an hour stroll). First visit is the acute women’s ward. it is one of the student placement areas that has been selected for the NMC visit. I meet with the ward manager and a charge nurse. Things are in good shape. There is a notice board set up for students and welcome package alongside support for mentors. I can’t remember the NMC domains off pat.... that irritates me. Next a surprise visit to Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team (CRHT), also selected for the NMC visit. It is very busy, nobody has time to look up from their desks. I see the notice board is out of date, I ask a nurse about students, he complains that he is kept out of the loop and doesn’t know anything about what happens at the University. I make a mental note to increase links with CRHT. And next... I ring the manager of acute services, recovery and wellbeing, the third placement area selected for the NMC visit. I mention that the grass needs cutting there, she’s “getting on to it”.
I walk to Hove station. Two trains are cancelled, the conductors are on strike. I get on the 18:12 to Brighton and change. The Hastings train has a fault on it, the recommendation is that I change at Lewes. A lady opposite me talks to me like she knows me really well. I cannot place her, who is she? She talks about work stuff. With careful questioning I realise she is a commissioner. She’s written a helpful booklet for carers going into homes. This could help me, I am supposed to be an Education Partner for care homes, I could give them the booklet? I give her my email address because she seems to want to carry on the conversation. At Lewes we are separated.
I meditate on breath from Lewes to Ore. Lovely. Can’t wait to get home, I am going to Balinese night at the Stag with my L.


No comments:

Post a Comment