Monday 10 October 2016

HS049 - Away from Hastings



Hastings Diary Day 12 May 2016

I am a Hastings resident, living on the West Hill, but staying for this week with my sister and brother-in-law in Old Windsor.

Today we went by bus into Windsor, using our free concessionary passes for seniors. I think it’s brilliant they can be used everywhere! The plan was to visit Windsor Castle and also see the special Shakespeare Exhibition there. The castle is right in the town centre and is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world. Many of our monarchs have lived here. It was good to see the Royal Standard flying over the Round Tower to indicate the Queen was in residence. This was so she could enjoy the Royal Windsor Horse Show and her 90th Birthday Celebrations, held in the castle grounds. We had tickets for the next day and were eagerly looking forward to seeing some famous showjumpers and then the superb spectacle of horses from all over the world, and musical rides, at the evening event. My ticket was a birthday and Christmas treat!

Due to the bus being late (it’s the same everywhere!) we just missed the Changing of the Guard ceremony but stood opposite the gate to see the band and the Guards march out at the end of it on their way back to Victoria Barracks. This was good as the band included pipes and drums and we had an excellent uninterrupted view.

The concessionary charge to visit the castle was £18.20 for me. I thought this a bit steep, but it does allow revisiting for one year. My sister and brother-in-law had free entry as residents of the borough. I was thinking that Hastings Council could introduce free or reduced rate entry for local people to our attractions – after all why should we have to pay the same as tourists? I don’t think it’s good enough! The only thing I’ve seen advertised free for locals is the Jerwood Gallery and that only on Tuesdays between 4-8 pm, with a reduced price admission other times.

There is strict security at Windsor Castle, the same as at airports. The buzzer went off when I went through and I had to remove my shoes as it was caused by their buckles.
Once inside there was plenty to see and I just mention here what were the highlights for me. I had an audio tour guide with me to explain the most interesting facts and there was a knowledgeable guide in each room to answer any questions. We marvelled at the exquisite Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House – no detail was forgotten, even to the miniature volumes of classical books in the library, and apparently everything (electricity, lifts, taps, toilet flushes etc) really works! Next we saw two large and stunning dolls, France and Marianne, presented by the children of France to our then princesses, Elizabeth and Margaret, complete with their many gorgeous clothes. Then on to the State Apartments, where my audio guide went wrong and had to be replaced, and we enjoyed looking at the many fine paintings, valuable furnishings and décor. St George’s Hall in particular was badly damaged by the horrendous fire in 1992 but is now fully restored and often used for state banquets. There are many coats of arms on the ceiling – some blank where the owners had transgressed in some way and they had been withdrawn.

The Shakespeare Exhibition was to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death. I was particularly struck by a copy of The Merry Wives of Windsor with a beautifully embroidered image of the castle, surrounded by oak leaves, acorns and banners on the red damask cover. Of course it was in a glass case to protect it! This is the only play Shakespeare wrote that was set in England. Romeo and Juliet were depicted in a drawing by Queen Victoria when she was 15, and a watercolour by her first daughter, also Victoria, for her father’s birthday.

St George’s Chapel was extremely interesting and we saw the tombs of King George VI and the Queen Mother. There was also a slab to mark the final resting place of King Henry VIII and one of his wives, Jane Seymour, although I was annoyed to see many people walking over it without reading the inscription. I had no idea he was buried here.

After the castle we had lunch in Windsor at a Wetherspoons, where I had chicken wraps and a deliciously more-ish dessert! Then we wandered around and my brother-in-law walked home while my sister and I waited, and waited, for a bus. They have a system whereby the due times are displayed (like we are supposed to be having in Hastings & St Leonards) but when we got to about four minutes the display reset as it seemed the bus didn’t run. So I was not impressed!

There wasn’t enough time to do everything and I’d like to go again to visit the places we had to miss.
_________________________________________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment