Wednesday 13 January 2016

The Keep and the Centre for Mass Observation



This is absolutely not my favourite photo - but The Keep is possibly one of my favourite places. It is just outside Brighton, close to Falmer train station and open to not just academics but the public.

I was fortunate enough to see a link last year to a guided tour, with a day course based around the Centre for Mass Observation so this wasn't my first visit. There will be much more information throughout the project about the Centre so I will not go in to its story and history here. You can follow the link here though to read all about their fascinating history and projects- Centre for Mass Obs.

Chris and I spent the morning at the Keep last week, I joined a few months ago so was able to book myself a seat, and order some day diaries, and some fascinating directives about holidays as a side read in advance. I also called ahead and booked their glass room so we could talk.

In common with many libraries and archives, the Keep isn't totally silent - but the archive room is a quiet room, and as any of you who know me will understand my voice isn't the quietest. We really enjoyed reading through the day diaries and picking through some to copy and use excerpts as inspiration.

Sadly, I forgot to bring any lunch so had a coffee and a packet of vegetable crisps purchased from their vending machine. I think we'd got so in to the protocols of filling in slips of paper, and ordering that the coffee machine was nearly too complex for us, that and not understanding the rubbish bin.

All in all a lovely research day.

No comments:

Post a Comment